Tuesday, March 27, 2007

My first Tri

Not that I was competing, but I SAW my very first triathlon this weekend Strawberry Fields in Oxnard, CA. How exciting. Even though we had to get up at a ridiculous hour to get there it was so worth it. One of my coaches and two of my teammates were competing, so it was a great opportunity to support them. Also to see our coach's INFAMOUS speed transitions (he's been known to beat professionals) and check out how the rest of the race really works. I think I was almost as nervous just watching the race as if I'd been in it myself!

The waves were pretty brutal for the swim section of this short course. It was good to see how the currents affect the direction of the swimmers, and the exit and entrance to the water. Luckily I won't have to deal with that in the Lake...whew. There IS a method to removing the swim cap goggles and wetsuit. The most important parts of T1 (the first transition) it seems was to 1. make sure you can get your damn wetsuit off and 2. be able to jump on your bike quickly. You can definitely separate the experienced riders from inexperienced at that stage. I was also shocked by the speed at which some riders come flying in, flip their leg over the seat and side dismount in stride. woooh. looks cool when they do it right. hmm what else, juston to the run I guess. Boy did everyone look tired by that point, but they pushed it hard through the finish line (I think it was a 3 mile run or so). Our coach and teammate did awesome, and I was so impressed by all 3 of them! I cannot believe that in just 4 short weeks that will be me crossing the finish line......

No comments: